Sunday, July 17

Numero Uno

Ya, I actually did it. I made a blog. Does this mean I've up and gone soft, sharing my feelings and other sensitive stuff like why I sleep with a teddy bear at night? (Wait, what?). Actually, Ive been meaning to do this for a while, but haven't gotten around to it and really, I'm not that fond of technology so its bit annoying to try to wade through this muck of setting things up and coming up with a name and junk, but I have alot of stuff I think folks would enjoy reading. Plus its an opportunity for me to write about questionable things that might otherwise get me flogged if I were to utter them in public. Not really, but there has been alot on my mind over the past couple years, and since I have 'been around' per se, meeting so many people through college and such, its a good way for you all to keep up with the mess that is Doug's thoughts if you so choose (not always a good choice)...

So what am I gonna blog about? Im glad you asked because its not really that simple. The name of the blog really sums it up. So here's my profound metaphor. Everyone has a box. Its what creates who we are as people. We put things in our boxes, we take things out, and at a certain point in time, whatever is taking up the space of your box is what defines you as a person. Our experiences, the people we've met, our passions, what we love, what we hate, our cars, our colleges, our jobs, our families, our friends, our beliefs. Its all stuff that we put and take out of our boxes as we trek through life. What matters is that you begin to realize what is worth keeping in the box, what is worth throwing out, and how to discern the difference. I'll admit, this idea doesn't come directly from my little brain. It's actually a concept that I got out of a class last semester from one of my professors (who may or may not have gotten it from someone else...).
So I guess you could say that this little corner on the good ol' World Wide Web is place that I hope to be honest, authentic, and creative in describing what is in my lifebox. Because I have found that when I share with others in honesty what is in my mind, I can be more true with who I am as a person and thus begin to put things in my box that are rich and good and worthy of my life.
Paul wrote to the church in Colosse, telling them to set their hearts and minds on things above; things that will last. I believe that this is ultimately the posture we should have when considering what we should place in our boxes. The exciting thing is that God has given us so much even while we think we have so little, and this is encouraging because not only does it change the size of things that are in your box, but it enlargens your box itself to hold more than what you can imagine.
So this is where it gets complex. This whole blog thing is going to be my attempt at integrating my faith and my passions. This involves just about everything in my life. I still haven't figured out how exactly I will be posting an essay on God's justice right after posting a link to the USAT nationals, but like I said, these are things that are in my box. Take them as you may, and my hope is that I am authentic through it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment